577 H Street
Crescent City, California 95531
The Museum is located on the corners of 6th and H Streets in Crescent City, California. The Museum is housed in the former County Hall of Records. It was built in 1926 and a portion of the building was used for the County Jail until 1963 when the present County Sheriff’s station opened. The Historical Society took over the building and with some interior remodeling it became the Museum in 1965. There are still some original jail cells on the second floor, which also serve as individual exhibit rooms.
The Main Museum has a wealth of interesting displays. One room is devoted to artifacts of the local Tolowa and Yurok Native Americans. It includes one of the finest Native American basket collections in Northern California. Musical instruments, old radio, phonographic and photographic equipment, excellent needlework, early logging and mining tools and equipment, and many fashions and furniture from yesteryear are just some of the objects and subjects represented and on display in the Main Museum.
The Bolen Annex houses the magnificent First Order Fresnel Lens from the Saint George Reef Lighthouse. Photo carousels throughout the museum as well as on the walls of various rooms chronicle the historical visual representations of the people and events of Del Norte County.
The Museum is open to the public May through September from 10 AM to 4 PM, Monday through Saturday. Special tours and showings can be arranged in the off-season. The Museum also has extensive research books, materials and other reference materials that are available to the public during normal operational hours. Special research days and hours are established and maintained by the volunteers during the off-season. Admission is free to Society Members. For more information about the Main Museum, visiting the area or to join or support the Historical Society visit www.delnortehistory.org.